In Module 1 you will learn how to make a band style ring perfectly, to a specific size. This skill is the foundation that will take us into the more complex ring fabrications that come in the subsequent modules. Specifically:
- Learn to properly cut a ring blank to a specific size
- Learn to form it into a perfect cylinder.
- Learn to tightly fit different straight edged wires over the cylinder to make a detailed band ring!
- Explore different design possibilities within that framework.
You will now have the skills to create intricate wedding bands and more!
In Module 2 you will follow along with Kent to make the same ring design, or use different shaped stone, accents, or shank styles to make something uniquely yours! You may use a premade bezel or make your own. Specifically:
- Learn to advance your ring fabrication & design skills
- Learn to form and add elements around your ring shank, meeting up to your central bezel (pre-made by you or purchased ahead).
- Create additional elements to add dimension and interest around the focal point of your ring.
In Module 3 you will enter the World of Kent’s Sketchbook! Specifically:
- Here we will put pencil to paper as Kent takes us step by step through the planning and design stages of creating complex rings with multiple gemstones!
- Learn a simple way to plan, visualize, and draw out more and more complex and detailed rings.
- We will explore many additional ways to add dimension, volume, elevation and interest to your rings, including the use of hollow forms, steps, borders, shank variations and more
- Watch as Kent unveils the mystery of how some of his most complex rings were created!
In Module 4 I show you my fabrication process, including the development of the design, my approach to tackling different difficult filing and soldering situations,and how I spontaneously change the design as the project unfolds. Specifically:
- Learn to approach a symmetrical, complex ring with multiple difficult angles and interrelated elements
- Learn the progression of the fabrication process, using Kent’s unique style he has developed over the past 50 years!
- Learn Kent’s process in refining multiple bezel groupings, with unusual angles and tricky filing.
- Learn approaches to difficult soldering setups.
- See how Kent spontaneously makes changes to his original design as he works.
In Bonus Module 5 you will learn the ins and outs of sizing a ring! I will share some insights into this necessary, but often dreaded job. Specifically:
- Learn how to cut out or add just the right amount of materials to get the desired size.
- Learn how to size a ring with a heat-sensitive stone. Kent will size a ring up to two sizes!
- Kent will walk you through the use of the ring stretching machine.
- Learn design considerations for your rings, making them easier to size down the road.
You will no longer fear being asked to size a ring, and you can keep your clients happy! Remember, every time you hear from a client, even for a sizing, they are opening up a new avenue of communication, and another chance for you to impress them with your mad skills! They are always so grateful, and often have a renewed interest in adding more of your work to their collection!